Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Cold Sassy Tree

Here are my thoughts on the book that I read last week. It is a classic about a small Southern town and I hope that you enjoy hearing my thoughts.

Burns, Olive Ann. Cold Sassy Tree. New York: Ticknor & Fields, 1984.

                 This week I started reading the book Cold Sassy Tree. Note the word “started”. I originally planned to finish this book but that didn’t end up happening. Because I haven’t gotten too far into the plot of the book, this review will be a small bit of summary but mostly my thoughts on the book and of course the reason that I didn’t finish it. Will Tweedy, is fourteen years old and lived each and every year in the town of Cold Sassy. Most days are simple and never seem to change much; until now. Now meaning when Will’s grandfather marries Ms. Love Simpson, not three weeks after the death of his first wife. Now everyone in Cold Sassy is talking about it and Will is simply caught in the middle. I will start by saying that I really like the plot and idea of this book. It is insightful and complicated but has a slight element of humor as well. I found it well written but thought that it moved a little slow, which brings us to our next order of business. As I mentioned before, I did not finish this book. I think that this is because even though the book is about an inch thick, it is pretty long. The text is small and the chapters are all around ten pages which is a lot of reading if you are trying to make some headway. I haven’t finished this book but keep in mind that this doesn’t mean that I dislike the book. I would recommend it as long as you are willing to stick with it for a little while. Thank you so much for reading and for visiting my blog and I will try to remember to write more when I am finished with this book.
306654

4 comments:

  1. I like how you wrote about the book even though you haven't finished it yet. Sounds like a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like an interesting book. Does Will marrying Ms. Simpson cause the conflict for the book?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete

"How do you know I'm mad?" Said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."