Thursday, January 8, 2015

SOL 1: The Bay

Here is my first Slice of Life. I wrote it about my experiences at the Bay in Cape Cod. I hope that you enjoy it!
I walk out into the bay. The sand under my feet is soft besides the occasional pebble or shell hidden just below the smooth surface. It is getting cooler as night approaches but it is never really cold in July. At least not in this East Coast haven. I am used to coming here by now. It’s been a while since I was last here but the warm water coming up to my ankles feels the same as it did when I was five. We always come here to find crabs or fish or just run on the sandbars. I don’t have to worry about anything else when I’m here. All of my worries, all of the stress in my life just melts away and into the ocean. I can feel absolute happiness, pure joy simply bubbling up inside me. The sun sets and golden orange light skips along the surfaces of the water and the sand. The tide is starting to come back in, reclaiming the land that it lost in the last short hours. The colonies of snails are soon to be lifted up into the water, followed by the scattered hermit crabs. Every animal has its own plan, its own goal that can be altered by simply picking it up and putting it down somewhere else. It is getting darker every minute and I can start to see the magic that happens when the light leaves the bay. I can see a blue glow on a nearby sandbank when the water laps up. A simple creature that I have seen here before. It looks like clear gelatin but whenever it moves it glows a beautiful blue. It is time to go back. It always has to end. I walk out of the water and put on my shoes. We walk back through the parking lot talking and laughing. I take a final look back. I am going back home tomorrow. For now i just enjoy night time on the cape. There are the sounds of birds and small forest animals. I will be back soon. It always has to end.

7 comments:

  1. I like your blog's title, and this description of a final night in a special place fills in a picture well. It's nice to think that you have that place to visit, and even in your mind, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You used great descriptive language. This language painted a picture in my mind of Cape Cod. I really enjoyed your piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great descriptive language! I totally know the feeling of being somewhere beautiful at sunset. I also like the background of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your story is a little too dark. I also thought it was pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you described the ocean and snails and sunset! Sounds really pretty. loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you described all of the animals! Cool

    ReplyDelete

"How do you know I'm mad?" Said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."