Thursday, January 29, 2015

SOL 4: Ralphie

The scattering of claws on hardwood floors flies through the house as soon as the garage door opens. Well, you can hardly call them “claws”. They’re more like nails. That dog won’t be taking someone down with them any time soon. I guess in the end there’s no other way for him to “take someone down”. Unless of course he uses his powers to follow them everywhere they go and annoy them more than they thought was possible. He does that a lot. When his Dad’s not home he’s at my heels every second. And I can’t stop him. He’s faster than he looks and can somehow get through my bedroom door even when it’s shut all the way. I guess that’s just more of the “magic” of Ralph. He’s fat but determined… And in love with anyone who is willing to devote some time towards him. Or give him food. He is one greedy little piggy when it comes to food. Any kind of food will do, but he especially appreciates carrots. Oh, does he love his carrots. Throw one down the hall and he’ll be after it with more of that hardwood floor clicking. Again, “magic”. I don’t know how he moves that fast with all the weight attached to him but it doesn’t slow him down one bit, especially when he goes outside. He’s always on the move unless it’s really hot out. That’s when he lays down in the shade. Even on walks when we’re trying to get somewhere. We’re walking, and we’re walking, and we’re walking and then suddenly he’s lying down. He’s got some tricks up his short, stubby little sleeve that’s for sure. And he’s got other tricks as well. With a little bit of prompting and the promise of a treat he will sit, shake, high five, lay down, roll over, and dance. Well, the dancing takes a little bit of imagination from both of us. But imagination never hurt anyone, right? It doesn’t matter anyway. I love him just the same. We all do. Almost anyone who meets him does.

“Oh. Hi Ralphie. I’m writing about you. You don’t know what that means. You don’t know what any of this means. You can’t read, or write, or talk. I don’t think. Can you say dinosaur? I didn’t think so. But that’s okay. Do you want a treat?”


 

4 comments:

  1. I really liked how you included a video and a picture. Your slice of life was really good and I liked how you described Ralph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ralphie!!!!!!!! That was very well written and I like the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love every bit, but getting to 'hear' those "claws" is the best. Also loved "in love with anyone who is willing to devote some time towards him. Or give him food." Hard to believe he likes carrots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with Danielle! Awesome video and description! I can relate, though my dog doesn't eat carrots...

    ReplyDelete

"How do you know I'm mad?" Said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."