Thursday, January 15, 2015

SOL 2: The Sky

I guess that I have always had a somewhat strange obsession with the sky. It is just that no matter where you are in the world it’s still the same sky. It is the same moon and the same sun as it was yesterday and the day before as well. However, when looking up into the sky during the day or the night, there are too many unanswered questions. Maybe that scares me a little and maybe that’s what I like so much. It is a mystery, one long stretch of wonderment that seems to spin around and around me until I have twice as many unanswered questions as I did before. How this happens is another question entirely. I have often watched clouds turn to blue skies which only turn orange and then into blackness. Yet it is not blackness after all, it is filled with an endless picture of scattered light, the stars. They look almost like someone took a handful of sand and through it into the sky. That is the stars. They are just far off places but they fill me with warmth and a hope that I cannot truly explain. And I am fine without an explanation. It is another unanswered question to add to my long list. I can’t see the stars where I live now. I have tried time and time again but it does nothing for me. All that I can do is think back to those times when there were stars. I saw them out in the bay in Cape Cod. And I saw them in Arches National Park. I even saw them when I lived in Thornton. It didn’t happen very much but every once in a while you could see one or two. And sometimes that was even better than seeing a full sky of them.


6 comments:

  1. Wow Brynn!
    This is really good!! I really liked the begging when you were talking about your interest in the sky. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome slice! I never knew you were so interested in the sky and space...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so good Brynn! I really like the part where you say "I have often watched clouds turn to blue skies which only turn orange and then into blackness". Nice job!
    -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Each part is lovely, Brynn. Love "seems to spin around and around me until I have twice as many unanswered questions as I did before".

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have such an awesome writing style, Brynn! I love the detail and the picture. Is it a quote?

    ReplyDelete

"How do you know I'm mad?" Said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."